Although caring for a child requires many facets and routines to ensure the overall health of the child, it is important not to forget a child’s oral health. If your child’s teeth are not taken care of, they will give rise to cavities and could potentially cause permanent teeth to grow in incorrectly or cause severe health issues. One of the most important tasks you can do to care for your child’s teeth includes brushing their teeth daily. Here are some helpful facts to get you started:
– Always bring your child in to visit us before they are 1 year of age for a routine examination.
– Remember that your children will not be able to brush on their own, so you will have to do the task for them until they come of age, which is around six years old.
– To avoid abrasion, brush your child’s teeth with a toothbrush that has very soft bristles.
– With children under 3, use a very small amount of toothpaste, roughly the size of a grain of rice. With children between 3 and 6, use a trivial amount of toothpaste, roughly the size of a pea.
– Try to make brushing fun so your child will be more open to the task. This includes using colorful toothbrushes, letting them select their own toothpaste bottles, and turning on their favorite music while you brush.
– Never use the same brush as your child or cross-contaminate brushes at any time, as this can lead to contamination and introduce harmful bacteria to you and your child’s mouths.
– As soon as a tooth first appears in your child’s mouth, which is around 6 months of age, you should begin brushing their teeth on a daily basis.
Take the time out of your day to bring your child in for a cleaning or exam at New Albany Family Dentistry. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Timothy Backiewicz and our team at our dentist office in New Albany, Ohio, please call us at 614-855-0202. Let us help keep your child’s smile spectacular!